35+ Years of experience
in dispute resolution in the international construction industry
Leo Grutters is a Dispute Avoidance and Resolution Expert with qualifications in Law, Civil Engineering and Business Administration. He accepts appointments as arbitrator, adjudicator or dispute board member, either as chairman or party-nominated member. In addition, he acts as counsel or conducts training and coaching events in related areas.
Leo Grutters has worked in countries such as:
- Czech Republic
- Georgian Republic
- South Africa
- New Zealand
- South Korea
- United Arab Emirates
Leo Grutters is a Civil Engineer and a Dispute Resolution Expert with over 35 years of professional experience. He holds an MBA and is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. He is a forensic analyst focused on the logical and fair resolution to contractual disputes. As a Member of FIDIC’s President’s List of Approved Dispute Adjudicators, he has been involved as an independent neutral expert in many large prestigious international engineering projects involving such wide-ranging sectors as:
- Road Construction
- Power Generation & Distribution
- Renewable Energies
Due to his extensive participation in international contractual dispute resolution procedures, such as adjudication, dispute boards and arbitration, he is a project-focused expert who understands the interaction between complex engineering methodologies and the unavoidable legal and commercial implications when seen in a contractual environment. He strongly believes in a common-sense approach and will always strive to achieve the optimum result acceptable by all involved.
He also regularly lectures on dispute resolution methodologies, proactive contract administration systems and procedures and is a regular speaker at related international events. Furthermore, he routinely conducts training and coaching events on the entire FIDIC Rainbow Suite of Contracts, as well as other construction-management-related topics.
- English: fluent
- German: fluent
- Afrikaans: fluent
- Dutch: mother tongue
- Co-author with Brian Barr of the “FIDIC Red, Yellow and Silver Books. A Practical Guide to the 2017 Editions” (Publication by Sweet & Maxwell)
- Member FIDIC Task Group 6b – Update Yellow, Red & Silver Books 2017 edition
- Co-author with Brian Barr of the “FIDIC User´s Guide to the Red, Yellow, MDB and Subcontract Books, 3rd Edition” (Publikation by Thomas Telford / ICE)
- Co-author with Brian Barr of “FIDIC Quick Reference Guides” RED, YELLOW, SILVER, PINK Book (Publication by Thomas Telford / ICE)